Monday, June 9, 2008

Once a "Drama Fag, Always a Drama Fag!"

Alright, so the title may throw some of you off a little, let me explain. Picture it the 80's, a midwest small suburbarn town. The social status is divided into the following: Jocks and Popular crowd, Science Geeks, Burn outs, Band Fags, and then the Drama Fags. Drama Fags was a term made up by the beefcake, party til you puke Jocks/Pop crowd.
Why is this the title of my post? Well if you have not guessed it, I was a "Drama Fag." My friends and I were the free spirits, the artists, the singers, the punks/gothic (when gothic was first "underground." )For me being in the Drama club and choir was a way to express so much that was inside. To become a different person, expand my imagination, and honestly it just seemed natural to me. In school there were two things I want more then anything, to be a Mommy and be an professional actor.
We all know what road I chose, and it is a good one. However, being on stage again was always a little dream of mine. Tonight that "little dream" came true! A few months ago my friend Candie, one of "the Oldies" as we call ourselves, let me know about an opportunity to audition for a small community theater group. She said "Let's do it, who cares wouldn't be fun to be up there again?" I had to agree. So tonight we auditioned for "Seussical the Musical" and we both received parts. I am so excited, and I have a little apprehension, I mean can I really do it? Will I remember all the theater lingo? What exactly is stage left again? my left or their left? Or am I just sweating the small stuff? Is performing like riding a bike, you just never forget it?

No comments:

C'mon over, pull up a chair.

C'mon over, pull up a chair.
I found these kids chairs at a flea market and got them both for $15. I love this color!

The Apron Swap

The Apron Swap
I did it! And I even made one for myself!