Friday, November 28, 2008

Turkey Day and Black Friday

Thanksgiving for us is not really a top holiday for us. It is not that we are not grateful for what we have, but we do not need just a day to focus on our gratitude. This year we were going to go down to visit Brian's family in Tennessee. However the powers that be decided that we were to stay here in Ohio. Avin got strep throat and a viral infection, and then Brian's Grandma Dreier passed away. I did not cook a huge meal this year, and it was not the traditional fair. I am not a big one for cleaning and touching poultry, (Gag) so I made a boneless Turkey breast, an awesome rice dish, and green beans. A big thanks to Food Network and their magical recipes! To top it off, we had Pumpkin Cupcakes. Yummy. Despite my attempt to make a less than traditional meal, these recipes had real butter, heavy cream and sugar. So good, yet so bad. We all stayed in our pajamas, except for when I went out to search the city for a newspaper.
The Newspaper...what an adventure. Granted I did not go to find one until 11 am, but honestly it took five places to finally nail one down. People in Toledo love those ads! After the fourth place, I wondered if something was telling me that it was not worth the fuss. And what do you know? I found a paper, took it home, and found out that there was really nothing on sale that I wanted. HM... I have never went out in the wee hours of the morning, (isn't that a song?) to shop til I drop. I wondered how it would be and even talked to some friends about doing it together. But the reality is there will be more sales, people are nuts I hear out there, and I really already have my goodies bought. The only reason it is "Black Friday" for me is the fact by now the kids have exhausted all their options and are so bored that they are killing each other. The joys of being a stay at home Mom.

No comments:

C'mon over, pull up a chair.

C'mon over, pull up a chair.
I found these kids chairs at a flea market and got them both for $15. I love this color!

The Apron Swap

The Apron Swap
I did it! And I even made one for myself!